Monday, March 24, 2008

What is Sin?

Today I was in the car with the boys, and Caleb asked me, "Mom, what is sin?" Wow! We've talked about sin before, but hadn't today. I'm not sure what made him ask that question, but I was so excited to have this conversation with him through his own prompting! I explained that sin is when we disobey God and the things He tells us in the Bible. I gave him a few 3 year old examples, disobeying your parents because the Bible says, "Children obey your parents..." And then Caleb said, I've sinned mommy...what do I do? It was so precious! I explained to him that when we sin we ask God to forgive us. He wanted me to tell him how, so I simply told him that he can pray to God and say, "God please forgive me for sinning..." Then I told him that it is good to be specific about what we're sorry for, "for disobeying my parents." So he prayed this little prayer. It was precious! I know he doesn't understand salvation yet, but what a blessing that his little heart is already becoming sensitive to this need to make our sin right before God! Then I told him that we all sin...me too. And he wanted me to pray also. It was such a special moment.

I think part of this came from Easter...we bought the boys some movies about Easter, Jesus' death and resurrection. What a wonderful reminder Easter is of our sin, our need to be made right with God and Jesus' loving sacrifice to make that possible. Beyond all that, our Savior is alive and speaks to our hears each day is special ways...He is Risen, what beautiful words to a sinner's ears!!!


Easter morning we woke up early and had a sunrise service for our church at the new property and then enjoyed a wonderful time of worship in our morning service! Also, for Easter we were invited to our good friends, the Shackelford's home for Easter lunch! Fred and Jennifer smoked a yummy ham, and we brought a few things to go with it...it was delicious! Jennifer had decorated the table with spring flowers and Easter verses from the Bible. Easter is such a wonderful day...It is sad to me that so many celebrate it with meaningless things like bunnies, new clothes and Easter eggs, but forget the true meaning. Thanks to Fred, Jennifer, Clayton and Jack for having us over for dinner and for keeping the focus-even during lunch- on Christ. Easter evening we were invited to our friends, the Dillard's home. The older children had hidden Easter eggs for the boys, and they rode around on the golf cart looking for them...talk about a fun way to hunt for Easter eggs!!! We have been so blessed with wonderful friends and family!

Here are a few pictures from our day, including the boys dying Easter eggs with Aunt Michele (this is their yearly tradition together!)



2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This story is so insanely sweet. It actually reminded me of sweet little Cole in the Karen Kingsbury Redemption Series. Have you read those books? Precious...

Fred and Renee said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Easter. I konw that Clayton and Jack had a good time too. Clayton told me all about it.