Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy 30th Birthday, Jennifer!

I've written many times about the wonderful friends God has blessed me with. One of my best friends is Jennifer, and I am happy to say that now she is 30 also ;) She enjoyed a few months of teasing me about being 30 while she was still 29, but no more! As most of you know, Corey and Fred have begun biking and competing in triathlons. Several months ago, Jennifer started looking at races that she could do and found one in Memphis on her birthday, the Fit City Splash N' Dash. She decided to do it, and I think at first jokingly said that was going to be her party and that I was invited if I wanted to come. Not being one to miss my best friend's party, I jumped on board and Corey and Fred got on board, too! It has been such a fun process. Jennifer and I both had to learn to "swim" for the race (we knew how to swim, but not the actual lap swimming where you have to keep your head in the water and turn to breath). The guys coached us on our swimming, and Jennifer worked on her time running (I just had to start running again period!) Needless to say, we have been looking forward to this weekend for a while. Jennifer, Corey and I did the short race (a two mile run and a 150 yard swim) and Fred did the long race (the same thing, but twice). Jennifer and Fred's parents and sisters and brothers-in-law watched the four boys during the race...THANK YOU! We had so much fun! We ended up getting to spend the whole weekend with the extended Shackelford family who so graciously allowed us to be a part of the family for the October birthday celebration (Happy Birthday to Elizabeth, too)! Happy Birthday, Jennifer! You make 30 look amazing, and I'm so grateful for your friendship!


Thanks, Elizabeth for the pictures!

2 comments:

Fred and Renee said...

We had fun too!!

mundayseven said...

Hey Mel, I am so proud of you! Great job! Waverly