Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Today was a bittersweet day for me...I am disappointed that our country's values have changed so much that we have chosen to lead us men and women whose values are so opposed to scripture and Godly morals. It is no surprise to most of you that the election results saddened me greatly. However, I am excited that our country has come so far in our ungodly attitude of racial prejudice that we have our first African-American president! I thank God that although racism is not gone, we have moved a great leap in that direction. I also am grateful to live in the most wonderful country in the world where democracy allows us the right to choose our leaders and the transition of power from one leader to the next is peaceful! How beautiful was the sight today of proud Americans filling the National Mall waving our country's beautiful flag! My prayer is that God will continue to bless America and that we will return to Him.

Finally, I want to encourage each of you, whatever your political views, to commit to pray for our new president. Consider 1 Timothy 2:1-4

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."

Notice that we are to pray for ALL those in authority, not just those whose values and beliefs are in line with ours. Let's pray that God will protect President Barack Obama, his family, our country, and that God will give him and each of our senators, representatives, and governors great wisdom and understanding as they lead our nation. Pray that laws and decisions made will be according to His will. And also, let us not put our hope in this one man to change all the ills of our nation...let us put our hope in the ONE who can make all things new and right when we as a nation will choose to follow Him.


1 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very well said!! While I will not agree with everything our new President stands for I still can support him in prayer. That's what makes our country and our faith so amazing to me!