Monday, August 18, 2008

Playing Catch Up

We've had a busy last couple of weeks...it seems like we have been on the go since we got back from Honduras. This is a little update on what has been happening the last two weeks!

Week before last we had the Henry County Fair! What kept us so busy is that our church began a ministry last year where we set up a booth and give water bottles with our church logo on them and the verse where Jesus talks about being the Living Water. Each day at lunch time, (Wednesday- Saturday) Corey, the boys and I would ice down around 250 bottles of water in coolers. Then in the afternoon we would deliver them to the booth. It's a lot of work, but we had over 250 contacts to make through letters or phone calls at the end of the week. Our prayer is that the ministry showed people that we care about them, but more importantly that God loves them. Different church members volunteered to work the booth...it's actually a lot of fun!
We also had a fun time riding rides at the fair!One afternoon Mr. Steve was bailing hay, so the boys were able to go ride the tractor and "help" him. They love the horn on the tractor. The Clendenin farm is one of the boys' favorite places...they are always so kind to let us come out there to ride four-wheelers, tractors and see the cows.


That Friday and Saturday, Corey had the privilege of performing the wedding for our youth minister and his wife, David and Ashley. They are a precious couple and we wish them the best! Everything was beautiful from the rehearsal dinner to the wedding and reception! Caleb and Bennett even got to dance with Ashley at the reception...Bennett didn't want David to cut-in on one dance, so he got to dance with both of them!

Last Monday, the first full day of school, our church hosted a back-to-school prayer breakfast. It was such a blessing! We gathered together with friends from several area churches and prayed for each teacher, administrator and school board member in all our city and county schools by name! Our hope is that this won't be a one time thing but that throughout the year we will lift them up as they face the overwhelming task of educating our children. We also prayed that those who are Christians will be a light for those who do not know Jesus personally...they they will see Jesus in them! Corey and I are blessed to have been called to quite possibly the most gracious and wonderful church ever. It is such a blessing to be part of a church that meets each ministry opportunity with wonderful enthusiasm! The food that was left after the breakfast was taken to several of the schools and placed in the teachers lounges...being a former teacher I know how exciting it is when a surprise shows up! It just seems to brighten the day. Thank you to all our church members who so generously gave of your time to make this possible!
Tuesday night, Corey and I had a parent meeting for Caleb's preschool!!! Wow, that is hard to believe. I did pretty well except when I saw his name on a folder...it seemed so official, and when they talked about the scripture and Bible stories they would be learning...what a blessing! I have such a love for Christian education!

This week is the consignment sale in Paris, so I had to get all the boys old clothes, toys, etc. labeled and ready for drop off Sunday afternoon. Knowing that we were going to be out of town, I wasn't sure how I'd get it done, but my sweet friend Jennifer came over Thursday morning to help me hang and tag everything...thank you! Thursday afternoon we headed to Jackson and were blessed to have dinner with my home church's pastor and his wife. They have a burden for mentoring young pastors and so there were four couples they have taken alongside to teach and help. This was such a wonderful and encouraging time! The men have officially named themselves, "The Dead Preacher's Society," reminiscent of the old movie. Guys are so weird!

Then Friday Corey had his Fantasy Football draft with his buddies...they've done this league since college. They spent the morning golfing and the evening drafting. Corey was last year's winner...I think the Parasites have a good chance again this year! The boys and I had a fun day with my family (I left my camera in Paris and have no pictures!!!) And then we got to spend some time with some of my friends and their children (their husbands were at the draft too). We had a wonderful time!

Now if you are actually still reading at this point...I'm impressed! This has officially been the longest blog I've written and I've used the word "official" three times. That means it is officially time to stop! I think we're caught up now!

1 comments:

Fred and Renee said...

Sounds like you guys have really been busy!! Please put me on your prayer list for teachers - especially if it comes with the food. :-) Seriously - I know what a difference it makes when you are prayed for and I am sure that is one reason why your school system is a notch above the rest.