Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Not Pleased

As I was working on my Bible study Tuesday, I read some verses that I'm sure I've read before but it has never quite struck me this way before. 1 Corinthians 10:1-5, "our forefathers were all under the cloud (speaking of the pillar of cloud that led them through the wilderness) and that they all passed through the sea. They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them..." Wow! They had all been led out of Egypt, through the Red Sea, through the wilderness, provided for by God, and yet He was not pleased with most of them. As I thought about this it made me think of the Church today. Not just Maplewood specifically, but the Church as a whole. We have experienced His salvation, been blessed by Him, carried through trials and adversity, and yet so many "Christians" live lives in total disobedience. He is not pleased! We may go to the same churches, read the same Bible, sing the same worship songs...And so I began to ask myself, "Is He pleased with me?" It is so easy to live our lives in comparison to those around us...compared to others we may think we're doing okay. But the world and even other Christians around us aren't our who we should be comparing ourselves to...Christ is the standard. How do I stand up to the Holiness of Christ? That makes the question much more sobering..."Is He pleased with me?"

0 comments: